This Old Bank Of Sand is a weekly poem feed. Add your email address to the Follow by Email link on the right and you will receive one poem a week (usually on Monday morning). If you have suggestions for poems or poets, or any other suggestions, please use the comments facility at the bottom of each poem (public), or email them to thisoldbankofsand@gmail.com (private). To leave a public comment, click on the word comments which you can find just below each poem.

Sunday, May 13, 2012

Sonnet 29 – William Shakespeare

I must include something by William Shakespeare in my choice. This sonnet I find particularly moving. Sometimes, when I am feeling low, the last five lines become especially true and important.

Sonnet 29

When in disgrace with fortune and men's eyes,
I all alone beweep my outcast state,
And trouble deaf heaven with my bootless cries,
And look upon myself and curse my fate,
wishing me like to one more rich in hope,
Featured like him, like him with friends possessed,
Desiring this man's art, and that man's scope,
With what I most enjoy contented least;
Yet in these thoughts myself almost despising,
Haply I think on thee, and then my state,
Like to the lark at break of day arising
From sullen earth sings hymns at heaven's gate;
For thy sweet love remembered such wealth brings,
That then I scorn to change my state with kings.

 William Shakespeare

No comments:

Post a Comment